THIS IS A PROMOTIONAL CONTEST. NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING. The Promotion is void where prohibited or restricted by applicable law, and all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Winners are responsible for any taxes, customs, duties and like amounts connected with the prizes.
2. Eligibility. Eligibility to participate in the Promotion or to win prizes is open to individual persons who are legal residents of the United States or its territories and possessions. Individuals who reside in most countries other than the United States are also welcome to enter the contest; however, all stories and passages must be submitted in English. Entry in the competition is void where prohibited by law. Individuals residing in Brazil, Italy, The Netherlands, Russia, and Quebec are not eligible to participate. Limit one (1) Registration per individual, but no limit to number of submissions per registrant or individual. Any effort by an entrant to misrepresent himself or herself through the use of aliases or multiple e-mail addresses will disqualify that entrant. Entrants who disregard these Official Rules are not eligible to participate or win. Directors, officers, employees, contractors and agents (and their immediate families and household members) of the Sponsor, its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, or any other company involved with the design, production, execution or distribution of the Promotion are also not eligible. The Sponsor's determination of eligibility, in its sole discretion, shall be final.
3. Submissions. As part of the Registration, registered users must submit a story or passage (“Qualifying Submission”) under one of the following categories i) Diversity, ii) Character Story, or iii) Texas Regional (“Categories”). Each Qualifying Submission shall be uploaded and submitted through the website, according to the guidelines and word limits for the category selected. More specific information about each of these Categories and the content for each essay is located at https://storysharescontest.org/award-categories. By uploading your submission, you agree that it conforms to the Guidelines and Restrictions as defined below and that the Sponsor may disqualify you from the Contest if it believes, in its sole discretion, that your Submission fails to conform to these Guidelines and Restrictions.
The guidelines and grant of rights for the Categories differ as follows:
a) Entries to i) Diversity and ii) Character Categories:
Guidelines: Registered users must submit a story between 1,000 and 15,000 words (“Qualifying Story”) under one of the following categories i) Diversity or ii) Character (“Categories”). Each Qualifying Story shall be submitted as a text or PDF document, with at least two short chapters and an overall length fewer than 15,000 words. More specific information about each of these categories and the content for each submission is located at https://storysharescontest.org/award-categories.
Rights: By completing a Registration, Contestant grants to Sponsor, its agents and others working on their behalf a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive right and license to use the Registration and any related Qualifying Story for advertising and marketing purposes, including on the Promotion Site, without additional compensation, unless otherwise prohibited by law. This includes, without limitation, the right to copy, distribute, reproduce, modify, edit, publish, transmit, translate, reformat, create derivative works from, display, perform, and otherwise use such materials in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis; to incorporate such materials into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes; to publish your name in connection with your Qualifying Story and the right to sublicense such rights.
b) Entries to iii) Texas Regional Category:
Guidelines: Registered users must submit a short story or expository passage between 1,000 and 2,000 words (“Qualifying Submission”), which features topics, settings, characters, history, culture, or themes based in or relating to the state of Texas. Each Qualifying Submission shall be submitted as a text or PDF document, with an overall length fewer than 2,000 words. More specific information about this category and the content for each https://storysharescontest.org/award-categories.
Rights: By uploading your Submission, you understand that you are sharing it exclusively with a specific program for English Language Learners in Texas, and you relinquish all rights to all materials created or uploaded to the site, and you comply with any applicable rules and terms.
4. Judge. Each Qualifying Submission will be reviewed by a panel of three to ten judges (“Judges”) to determine which of the Qualifying Submissions receives the highest score in each Category based on the criteria set forth in the guidelines and rubric. (“Best Qualifying Submission”). The Judges’ determination of the Best Qualifying Submission in their sole discretion in accordance with these Official Rules, shall be final.
5. Prizes. The Contestant submitting the Best Qualifying Story as chosen by the Judge’s for each Category will receive a Prize as follows :
6. Additional Submissions. In the event there are more than one Contestant who have received identical scores by the Judge for a Best Qualifying Story in the same Category, a Contestant may be asked to submit an additional Qualifying Story to be evaluated by the Judge using the same criteria as the original Qualifying Story. The Contestant having the highest score amongst the additional Qualifying Stories will be deemed to have the Best Qualifying Story for that Category.
7. Conditions of Participation. Each Contestant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and all decisions of the Sponsor and Judge, whose decisions will be final. The Sponsor is not responsible for any printing errors in these Official Rules. In addition, each Contestant that submits a Registration represents and warrants that all information contained in his/her Registration is true and accurate. The Contestant further represents and warrants that any Qualifying Story that they submit as part of the Promotion is owned or controlled by the Contestant without violation of any third party’s rights.
8. Winner Notification. The winners of the prizes will be notified by e-mail. Sponsor may require a prize winner to execute an affidavit of eligibility, publicity release (except where prohibited), liability waiver and/or IRS Form W-9 (if required by IRS regulations) prior to the delivery of any prize (collectively, "Affidavit"). If the prize winner does not respond to the notification within thirty days, is found to be ineligible, fails to execute the Affidavit or other documentation required by Sponsor, the Sponsor may consider such prize winner to have forfeited their prize, and another prize winner may be selected. Sponsor makes no warranties with regard to the prizes. The prizes are not transferable and the winner has no right of substitution.
9. Announcement of Winners. The names of the prize winners will be posted on or before September 7, 2018 for at least 30 days after the end of the Entry Period at the Promotion Site.
10. Sponsor. The Sponsor of this Promotion is Story Share, Inc. having a principal place of business in Ardmore, PA 19003.
11. Disclaimers, Dispute Resolution and Limitations of Liability. Each Contestant hereby releases, and agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsor, those working on its behalf, and each of their respective officers, directors, representatives, employees, agents, successors and assigns, from any damage, injury, death, loss or other liability, either at law or equity, whether known or unknown, asserted or non-asserted, that may arise from or in any way relate to participation in this Promotion or the awarding, acceptance, use or misuse of the prizes. Any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this Promotion shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. This Promotion shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Pennsylvania, regardless of conflicts of laws principles. Any action or litigation concerning this Promotion shall take place exclusively in the federal or state courts sitting in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, and each Contestant expressly consents to the jurisdiction of and venue in such courts and waives all defenses of lack of jurisdiction and inconvenient forum with respect to such courts. Each Contestant agrees to service of process by mail or other method acceptable under the laws of the State of New York. ANY CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND/OR AWARDS SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ENTERING THIS PROMOTION. CONTESTANT HEREBY WAIVES ANY RIGHTS OR CLAIMS TO ATTORNEY'S FEES, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ENTRANT, WHETHER FORESEEABLE OR NOT AND WHETHER BASED ON NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE.